Special Vets for Special Pets
Are there specialists for my pets like there are specialists for the rest of my family? YES! And you don’t have to look farther than right here in Jacksonville, FL.
Similar to their human counterparts, a Board-Certified Veterinary Specialist must complete rigorous training beyond that of attaining a veterinary degree. Veterinary Specialists bring a greater understanding in areas such as internal medicine, heart and breathing diseases, cancer, infectious diseases, hormonal problems and gastrointestinal illnesses. Specialists have greater knowledge of unusual, uncommon, rare and hard to define and manage illnesses.
Veterinary Specialists often have diagnostic equipment and capabilities not generally used by your family veterinarian. Examples include digital imaging (CT, X-ray and ultrasound scanners), blood products for transfusions, chemotherapy for cancer treatment, laparoscopy and endoscopy machines, acupuncture and alternative medicine options as well as 24 hour care for hospitalized patients.
You should consider seeking a Veterinary Specialist when:
- Your pet’s disease is uncommon, complicated or undiagnosed after standard testing
- You would like an informed, neutral second opinion of your pet’s condition
- The outcomes of current treatments are not going well or as expected
- Your pet requires a sophisticated procedure that is offered by a specialty hospital
- Your pet can benefit from 24 hour monitoring provided by a specialty hospital
If you believe your pet would benefit from a visit to a Board-Certified Veterinary Specialist, you are encouraged to request a referral from your family veterinarian. You may also contact NFVS directly to request we communicate with your family veterinarian to set up a referral appointment.